Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Journey Continues...


For those of you still following my faith journey here at Amate (particularly the journey to find a place of Worship) – the journey continues.  So far, I have visited a few different Catholic parishes including St. Sabina’s, St. Maurice, Holy Name, and Our Lady of Good Counsel.  All of them have been nice in their own sort of way, but none have quite fit the bill.

As a new experience, over Labor Day weekend a few of my housemates and I visited a new kind of Church.  One of my housemates is Christian but not Catholic, and she does not identify with any particular denomination but has attended many different types of services in her life.  She has been kind enough to come along with the rest of us to a Mass each weekend, and some of us decided it was time for us to broaden our minds and share in her preferred faith experience too.  On Sunday, we went to Judson Baptist Church – the congregation her parents are presently a part of during their search for a consistent place to worship.  I was excited to go because I wanted to support my housemate and to gain a better understanding of her faith experience.  She and I have shared some beautiful conversations about how we have learned to live out our faith and express our spirituality, so I was anxious for a first hand view.

Overall, it was an interesting experience.  There was upbeat praise and worship meeting, an obvious sense of fellowship and welcoming atmosphere, and a sermon full of many references to Scripture.  While I knew that the service didn’t fill me the way that Catholic Mass does, it did nourish another part of me that needed attention to.  Let’s be real, I’m a bit of a Jesus freak at heart and I love me some quality praise and worship music.  I was able to remember the feeling I would get while singing and praying at an even like “LIFT” or “God in the North End” back at school.  It was nice to be surrounded by people who weren’t afraid to sing out loud and proud about how awesome God is J.

After church, my housemate’s parents were gracious enough to have the whole house over for a delicious meal.  It was so nice to have a family away from home to take care of us for a little while.  All in all it was a lovely day – I didn’t find my new home parish away from home, but I was most certainly fed in more ways than one.  And so, the journey continues…

No comments:

Post a Comment