Monday, July 30, 2012

"Today, I Pray for Laughter."


This morning signaled our official start to the two week orientation program for Amate.  We began as just a small house community, opening the day in prayer before moving onto logistical information.  To close morning prayer, our house coordinator/staff member asked us all to think of one word or phrase to share with the group that described what we hoped to get out of the day.  Naturally, I panicked – partially because I am still nervous speaking in front of the group, and partially because I felt like I was going in with no expectations.  We had not received an outline of the training for the weeks, never mind the specific day’s tasks and discussions.  Racking my brain I silently fumbled over words preparing for my turn – Guidance?  Information?  Peace of mind?  Comfort?  Friendship?  What was the right answer?  What was I supposed to want?

The house coordinator volunteered to go first.  “Today,” he said, “I pray for laughter.  I pray that we all will share smiles and laughs throughout the day.”  I was totally thrown off by his prayer.  Laughter?  Was that on the list of objectives?  But as I thought on it for the rest of the day, it made so much sense.
Since the night I arrived, my house has shared many laughs.  We’ve played board games that made us laugh until we almost cried, laughed at ourselves, laughed with each other, laughed for the sake of laughing.  As these times transpired, I initially saw them as superficial – enjoyable, for sure, but superficial.  It’s easy to laugh and make others laugh.  It wasn’t until after reflecting on this morning’s prayer that I realized how much our laughter was bringing us together.  It was allowing us to break down walls we all naturally put up around ourselves.  It was giving us the space to be our authentic selves.

I think what sealed my confidence in this was this afternoon.  We were sitting around on the living room couches, and at a lull in the conversation one housemate looked at me and simply said, “you’re really satirical.  I like it.”  A small comment/compliment that may seem trivial boosted my confidence in myself and my place in the community because I know that being sarcastic and a jokester is my authentic self.  My friends that know me well encouraged me to be that self at Amate and not put up my guard, and I honestly didn’t think that would be possible.  Sure enough, after a few short days I am finding other people appreciating me for the person I know I authentically am and not the shy, reserved person I often come off as.

Today,  I am grateful for laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment